Sunday, July 11, 2010

Valentino ups the girlie-girl OTT factor for Paris Haute Couture Autumn Winter 2010/2011

The latest Valentino collection is a funny one. On one hand the “cutesie” elements which overpower the collection appeal to my inner girlie girl and I love the bows, the lace, the flowers and pastel pinks. But on the other hand I think that it is just too much. All of these elements together make what could have been a youthful and modern collection a tad OTT.
There was a slightly darker side to the collection with ideas of restraint trying to be portrayed through the use of an actual cage like structure around one dress appearing. The darker colours of red and black were another attempt to contrast with the sugary pinks and pastel colours but I don’t think it was enough to mix it up and make the collection more memorable or interesting.


Tim Blanks wrote for American Vogue that this Valentino collection was “haute couture for the Twilight generation” and I know exactly what he means by this. But it seems odd to me that Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli, who are the designers behind Valentino, would choose to aim their collection at this audience. After all, I am part of the Twilight generation and I am hardly an Haute Couture customer (hah I wish)

My favourite looks (above)

What do you think?
Do you agree with me and think that the whole collection was too girlie girl to appeal to the elite and extremely exclusive people who buy Haute Couture?
Or do you think that Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli managed to achieve a beautiful and youthful collection?

Beth Ruby xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment